Monday, May 6, 2013

The Opposite of Love is Indifference (An Ode to 90's Fashion)

I have a confession to make: I once hated 90's fashion.  Now, I love it.

I was born in 1989, so only my very young childhood took place in the 90's, but let me tell you.  There were plenty butterfly clips.  And JNCO jeans.  And sunflower prints.  And belly shirts.  I'm not saying all of those things are good.  In fact, a lot of them are pretty awful, but something about 90's fashion reminds me of how my older sisters dressed.  There's nothing cooler than older sister fashion sense, amirite?

So, how can you wear 90's clothes and accessories without looking like a fool?  Want to look like young Courtney Love and Drew Barrymore without getting strung out and smelly?  Here are a few tips.

1.  Subtlety is key.  Let's start with the infamous butterfly clip hairstyle.  In the 90's the (my) mentality was to get as many of those suckers into your hair as humanly possible.  That is not a good look.  It wasn't then, and it isn't now.  I distinctly remember my dad telling me he wasn't a fan of the hair gel heavy butterfly clip style I sported in 1999.  Here's a way to do it in a tasteful but playful way.  I'd stick with just one, but this pretty lady pulls of 3 nicely.
Tasteful Butterfly Clips
2. Make it mini.  If I recall correctly, everything was tiny in the 90's.  Mini dresses.  Baby tees.  Even mini purses.  Figure out your best body feature and choose accordingly.  

Great legs?  Try a mini dress.  
Mini Gap Dress
Rock hard abs?  Baby tee it up.  
Velvet Baby Tee

Not super stoked to show skin?  Go for a mini purse.
Yellow Mini Purse

3. Here's the most important tip.  Buy and wear the things you love.  Have fun with it.  Don't take yourself too seriously.  It's only fashion, after all.  

Gotta run, my tamagotchi is hungry (there's an app, seriously).  

 





No comments:

Post a Comment